I had such a fun time writing my What to Wear for Spring Photos post, I figured I’d do another one as fall season approaches. What to wear is ALWAYS the number one question that families ask after they book in for outdoor family photos. While, I do send out a prep guide, here’s a few inspiration boards for coordinating colours and wardrobe pieces that can be purchased in Canada. All items are from Old Navy, Gap Canada or Joe Fresh this season to keep things simple and for easy ordering.
Here’s a few overarching tips that you can use when selecting your outfits.
- Neutrals always photograph well. You won’t regret wearing creams, whites and greys. It’s a classic look that will be beautiful year after year.
- Keep in mind your location – ask your photographer what to avoid. For the fall season you’ll have lots of warm colours on the trees with the changing leaves, so a warm colour palette is ideal.
- Dresses look the best in images and add movement so learn toward choosing a long flowy dress for mom and their girls.
- Coordinate pieces but don’t go all matchy matchy. Pick a shade or two and mix it with neutrals. I love muted colours rather than bright and bold.
- Keep in mind that weather can be a bit unpredictable in the fall. It can be cool and windy or we could end up with a hot summer-like day. Having warmer layers like sweaters that go over your outfits is perfect. If it’s warm we can always ditch them part way through your session.
Learn more about my family photo sessions!